Ease Of Use
What Is Blinkist?
Blinkist is a book summary service that has one of the largest library of book reviews out there. The Blinkist review team added over 3000 books to the library, making it great value for money. Blinkist has more summaries than most free sites and are better if not as good as any other summary site’s quality.
In this Blinkist review, we’ll go over what it is, how it works, and whether or not it’s worth your hard-earned cash. Without further ado, here’s everything you need to know about the Blinkist book summary app to decide whether or not it’s what you are looking for
Blinkist Review: So What Exactly Does Blinkist Do?
Check out our short video review of the web app on my desktop computer and see how the user interface looks like.
Blinkist is designed for busy individuals who can never seem to fit as much reading into their every day life as they would like to. After all, who can fit as much reading into their daily schedule as they wish they could?
Blinkist Review: Why Book Summaries?Ask yourself: How many books do you read in one week? If you’re like most people, probably not even one. However, now, ask yourself this: How many books would you like to read in one week if you had the time? Your answer this time around is probably a number that is a lot higher. With Blinkist, it is suddenly possible. Book summaries have many use cases. Did you know that reading a lot can contribute to your success? When you think about it, it only makes sense. You learn a lot more about life, people, and the world around you. So, with this in mind, it should come as little surprise to you that most CEOs read one book a week. In fact, in total, most CEOs read more than 60 books per year. How many books did you read last year? It seems like that could hardly be a coincidence, right? If you currently feel surprised by this, and think that you don’t read nearly that much, then you’re not alone. The amount of books that CEOs read, at about four to five per month, is a lot higher than what the average individual reads. In fact, it’s four to five times higher than how many books your average individual reads on an annual basis. So with this information in mind, it seems like it is only a logical conclusion that reading helps to contribute to your success. But we know what most of you are probably thinking—who has time to read that much? And the answer is, probably very few of us. Between things like work, school, a social life, hanging out with family, friends, and more, things like reading can all too easily get pushed aside. However, almost everyone has a few minutes per day. Whether it’s listening to audio book summaries while driving in the car, or flipping through a short reading on your phone while waiting for a meeting, just about anyone can find a few minutes a day. You don’t have to read the whole book.
Who Is This For?
Blinkist is for anyone who reads and wants to read fast instead of going through the whole book. For the busy minds, those who are looking for something to do in their spare time, the college students cramming for a test, aspiring CEOs, the soul searchers, and so much more. Of course, some would prefer the full book.
With book summaries in a wide array of subject matter, you can read about almost anything you want in a matter of minutes.
- Looking for something engaging to keep you busy while you’re driving on a long car ride?
- Want to brush up on a subject that interests you?
- Looking for a brief introduction to a field or author you don’t have much exposure to?
This is the solution. For a wide array of information, the Blinkist book summary app can give you a “blink” of a massive world of intel.
Think about how much information is out there circulating in the world. In a place where media is being produced far faster than people can consume it, it’s difficult to keep up—especially if they are hundreds of pages long.
For most people, the days are too short and filled with too much activity to read hundreds of pages. Don’t get caught up in the daily routine of life and let reading fall by the wayside, especially if reading and learning is something you like to do every day. With the Blinkist app, you can get all the information that you need and want to know—and more.
The Perfect Addition to a Busy Lifestyle
The truth of the matter is, most people do not have much reading time. It is common for people to want to know more about specific topics, whether it be history, science, or anything else. With the Blinkist app, there are book summaries covering a vast array of author and topics so that you can learn about virtually anything in no time at all. If all you are looking for is an overview for a better understanding of something you know a little about, Blinkist is the perfect fit.
Do you have a busy lifestyle? Are you always trying to keep your mind occupied? Or looking for ways to pass the time? If so, you might be a business leader, a busy mom, an author or a wide range of other things. Whoever you are, Blinkist was made for people just like you.
Blinkist Review: What About Other Book Summary Services?
In essence, what we’re talking about is text summaries. And in reality, book summaries have been around for ages. Book summary websites and companies have been dedicated to summarizing the most popular books and articles. Some examples include summary services like Sparknotes and Cliffnotes, which are much loved by students. Today, certain book summary services do the same thing but specialize in specific fields, such as self-help or business books. Social media websites and blogs also offer free book summaries.
Other Similar Apps To Blinkist?
There area a bunch of similar book summary apps that do book summaries out there. From what we’ve seen, the top ones are more expensive and have less books covered but they do have a selling point where they are more specific in a certain niche. You can check out the likes of Instaread, getAbstract and Joosr to see if they suit your needs.
So What Makes This Any Different?
The Blinkist library is huge and has a good selection, when compared to other book summary services, and can satisfy the interests of almost any user. With over 2000 text, audio and video summaries available at your fingertips on a smartphone app, plus more new summaries being added, this service is invaluable to many people. With authors of great books like Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Charles Duhigg, Robert Cialdini, Tony Robbins and Malcolm Gladwell, just to name a few, it’s hard to go wrong.
Being able to read anything at any time is indeed a rare opportunity. To be able to learn, explore, and comprehend a field using a device that fits in the palm of your hand isn’t something most people can do.
A read here is more than just a summary. It goes through the main points of any book in a simple way that is easy to comprehend and accessible to anyone, leaving out all the fluff content. It separates these major points into a series of blinks, making it easy to follow along with the book. Furthermore, this makes it a cinch to go back and access a single point of the reading that you found valuable and want to hear or read again. It saves you time since you don’t need to thumb through the entire reading or audio versions. You would be hard-pressed to find great book summaries that are more accessible, easier to comprehend, or better organised. There are not many services like Blinkist.
Gain Knowledge In No Time
Learn effortlessly about virtually any topic that you wish to become better versed in—without stress, pressure, or the time commitment. By just searching a subject, some relevant book summaries will come up on in the Blinkist app. From there, you can choose one that seems most interesting to you and listen to the audio recordings or skim away in just a few minutes. While you may not become an expert, you certainly will be able to hold an educated conversation on the topic. With this method of learning, you can stick to only the topics or author you find interesting and gain knowledge quickly.
Going to meet your girlfriend’s parents for the first time and need something to talk about with her history buff of a father? Brush up on your knowledge of Ancient Greek with Blinkist. Just landed an interview for your dream job and want to learn more about the field to give yourself an edge? The Blinkist app can help. There are countless scenarios where it’s helpful—and fun— to learn things in a pinch. A robust library full of information that can fit into your pocket makes it possible.
Listen And Learn With Reviews On The Go
We live in a world where people are less and less stationary. In fact, it’s common to spend several hours per day in your car. What do you do with that time? Daydream? Listen to commercials on the radio? Fret about the traffic?
With Blinkist, you can keep your mind occupied every day with a wide array of available books with the press of a button. Listening to the audio version in your car is highly convenient and makes the drive fly by. Similarly, flipping through the book summaries text can help pass the time when you’re waiting for an appointment or otherwise killing time.
The Blinkist reading app also works everywhere. Whether you’re in the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Asia, Africa or anywhere in the world, it doesn’t matter which country, you can use Blinkist anywhere.
Can I Read Or Listen Offline?
In short, yes. Once a title is added to your Blinkist library, you have access and can read the book summaries without an internet connection. As for the audio book library, you can download it and get access to it quite easily.
A Better Use Of Your Time on Your Phone
When people have some time to kill or are waiting on something, we are all prone to spending time on our smartphones. What do you do when you’re waiting for a meeting? Playing games? Browsing through social media? Now, with Blinkist, you have a better way to spend your time on your phone. Is it worth reading an entire book? Why not use that spare time to learn something new—such as by essentially reading an entire book.
It’s easy to keep your mind occupied productively while on your smartphone. So, if you’re looking for a new smartphone app to get hooked on, this just might be the one.
Right Down To The Nitty Gritty
Do you ever want to learn about a subject, but don’t have the time to read an entire book on it? Maybe you aren’t looking for an in-depth understanding of a topic anyway. For a surface level overview to provide you with a general understanding, there’s no reason to wade through 300 pages of a long-winded novel. Especially in scenarios such as these, reading the book summaries suffices perfectly.
However, this is not to say that book summaries are always the way to go. If you are looking to become an expert on one subject and genuinely want a deep, thorough understanding, then reading a book in its entirety might be better. It is only logical, after all. It’s impossible for any service to deliver a fully fleshed out understanding of a topic in as little as a few minutes. The depth of comprehension you are hoping to achieve should help to determine whether a book summary or an entire book is right for you and Blinkist can be an option.
How Much Does Blinkist Cost?
So how much does Blinkist cost? For the premium version, you can pick to pay per month or the annual plan. They also come with a 7-day free trial.
This is the typical price they charge and what Blinkist offers. Below that, we have the special pricing for our readers. Check out the discount on your annual plan for our readers. (Currently no discounts when you pay per month)
*Prices are at a 20% discount and may have changed since this post was updated but the discount code should still be valid.
Blinkist Premium Plan
Blinkist used to have a free plan but they no longer do and only have a premium plan now. The Blinkist premium plan has a great feature, audio versions of the reviews. This is a huge advantage, and I would highly recommend it. Listening to audio summaries is much more convenient than reading and can be done while doing other tasks. Other than that, syncing with highlights with Evernote is cool. It lets us use Blinkist on different devices but have all our notes in one place. Also if you have a kindle, you can send reads there instead of reading from your other devices. It’s something cool if you’re a tech geek.
Blinkist Review: Is It Worth It?
Considering the average price of nonfiction books are between $10-$15 (including the E-book version), you will be paying a lot more just to find out if a book is good. To read 60 books a year, you will need to fork out $60-$90/year and chances are, most of the books won’t be read completely. You can easily finish 60 books a year or more, choose which ones you want to buy and then read the whole book. It’s like having a sneak peek at the books. I found some great books doing this.
In my opinion, it is worth the subscription and I won’t put a price on learning if it’s not an excessive amount. That being said, it also depends on how you like to learn and everyone is different so the Blinkist cost may be worth it.
They cover book summaries in all categories. Here’s a list that you can see on the site itself with the full book lists available.
Advantages based On Our Blinkist Review
- Meet Your Goals: Did you know that “read more” is an extremely common New Year’s Resolution? Right up there with “lose weight” and “save money,” “read more” is something that people are always trying to achieve. This begs the question though: with what time? Thanks to Blinkist, you can now reach your goals. Did you tell yourself you want to read 10 books this year? Now, you can effectively do that in a week. While you may not get the most finite details that you’d get from reading a novel in its entirety, a “blink” gives you the fundamental points from a book that you need to get the ultimate point and be able to have an educated discussion about it. Plus, Blinkist has a progress bar to track how much you’re reading.
- Save Time: Imagine how much time goes into reading a novel of several hundred pages. While it is a great and informative option if you are looking to grasp a subject thoroughly, it’s not exactly ideal for someone in search of a general overview of something complicated. With such a wide variety of topics, you can learn about almost anything in no time at all. This saves you time trying to leaf through a massive novel on a subject you only want to know a little bit about.
- Gain Knowledge: Want to be a brainiac who knows a little bit about everything? Or do you want to be the person at parties who always has “fun facts” to contribute? Using Blinkist, you can learn about a wide array of subjects, read up on their books on self-help, use the experts’ methods to success, and more. With books that cover just about any field, all organised into convenient and accessible “blinks,” knowledge is just a blink away.
- Increase Productivity: People like the feeling of being productive, and if anything is productive, it’s reading. Not only are you learning, but you are also accomplishing something. One of it’s main use cases is to increase productivity, whether it’s self-help books or books in your field.
- Focus on What Matters: You can skip right to the most essential parts of a book while stripping away the details and extra noise or fluff content. Get right down to the “nitty-gritty” and focus on the parts of the book that matters most. This way, you can walk away with just the main points.
- Stay Up to Date: In this age of information, it’s easy to get lost and fall behind on the latest information. With Blinkist, you can stay up to date with the most recent books and keep yourself informed as to what is going on in the world and the fields that interest you. This makes it easy to keep up with the latest information and learn more all the while.
- Compatible with any device: Available on both Android and Iphone, desktop, mobile and tablet or anything you can think of. They even have a mobile app on the Google play store and Apple app store.
Disadvantages Based On Our Blinkist Review
- Brief Overview: If you truly want to delve deep into a topic and really, thoroughly understand it, then this isn’t the right solution for you in that situation. Blinkist is designed only to provide you with a brief overview. While this is ideal in many cases, when you want to read or get a really good feel for something, you might benefit more from reading the actual, unabridged version of a book on that topic. Unless you are merely looking for passing information on the topics you picture yourself reading about, Blinkist may not be the right book summary service for you.
- Loss of Traditional Paper Feel: If you like the traditional look and feel of holding a book in your hands, then that’s one drawback of using Blinkist. The nature of the service requires it to be used on a screen—or, at the very least, through your speakers. With this, you won’t get the feel of a book in your hands and paper between your fingers while using Blinkist. That’s the trade-off that comes with being able to read an entire book in a few short minutes.
- Information Overload: It may not seem like it would be, but all those condensed books in one place can quickly get overwhelming. In all likelihood, while browsing the interface, you will encounter a lot of books that you are interested in reading. Based on what you read, too, Blinkist will recommend even more books to you. While this may seem like a good thing (and it is, really) it can quickly get overwhelming. Your “to read” list quickly can become too long. When reading too many books in a short period, they can soon begin to blend. To help avoid this, it’s best to not read too much in one sitting if you find that you cannot retain the information.
Take The 7 Day Trial
Does this sound interesting to you? It indeed is an incredible way to consume books faster and take in knowledge. If you’re still not sure whether or not it’s right for you, though, then why not give it a try? Use Blinkist for free for 30 days to see what it’s all about, how it works, and whether or not you like it. With this risk-free way to decide if the Blinkist premium plan is a worthwhile addition to your life, you have nothing to lose. Of course, once your trial is over, you might be surprised at how much you miss the ability to read books this fast.
Don’t take our word for it. Take advantage of 7 days free with Blinkist to see what it’s all about with a “blink” at what the service is like. Discover how user-friendly the interface is, and how easy it is to take in information with the help of this useful tool.
Try it for free here
How To Cancel Subscription
There are some complains around about how it is hard to cancel a free trial or even a paid subscription. It’s not as straightforward as it should be but it’s easy enough. Just follow these steps by Wikihow on how cancel. It is also pretty straightforward on the desktop browser.
The Final Verdict
We covered a lot in this Blinkist review. At the end of the day, there are some disadvantages to it, but Blinkist offers a lot. We love its user-friendly interface, the wide variety of books, and approachable nature. It’s easy to learn on-the-go and stay in-the-know with Blinkist. If you’re not sold on reading summaries or on the book summary service yet, the 7 day trial is a great option to get your feet wet.
After you’ve tried book summaries, it’s hard not to go back. The main thing is the price we pay per year for what we get. The Blinkist cost is not too expensive and the amount you can learn makes it worth reading to me. It frees up extra time for you, keeps your mind busy, and helps you learn more about what you’re interested in. What could be better than that?
I hope you liked our Blinkist review. If it sounds like Blinkist is the solution you’ve been looking for to cross “read more” off your list of New Year’s resolutions once and for all? Give it a try today and please do consider using the affiliate link. You’ll get a nice discount as well