If you haven’t heard of Blinkist, you’re in for a treat. If you’ve been following us for a while, you would know that we don’t easily give good reviews to every product. But this is one we would recommend everyone try, at least the free trial.
So what is Blinkist? In short, it is an app that has over 2000 summaries of books. Most of which are non-fiction. They add over 40 book summaries a month to their library. It is a unique way to read more books in a fraction of the time! In this Blinkist review, we’ll go over what it is, how it works, and whether or not it’s worth your hard-earned cash. Without further ado, here is everything you need to know about the app to decide whether or not it’s what you are looking for!
What Is Blinkist and What Does It Do?
Blinkist is designed for busy individuals who can never seem to fit as much reading into their life as they would like to. After all, who can fit as many books into their daily schedule as they wish they could? For most people, there are thousands of books out there that they would benefit from reading. This includes both books that they have heard of and those that they have never been exposed to before.
With Blinkist, you can discover all the books that you’ve never heard of before—and read all the books on your list that you never had time to get around to. How?
You can also access countless books in an abridged form—a form that is accessible in as little as 15 minutes. It comes with both a readable form and an audiobook version for every book included on the service. It’s highly convenient given that each summary has been divided into 8-12 key insights from the book. This allows you to discover the parts of the book that are relevant or interesting to you.
There is barely a better way to read books quickly and on the go other than maybe audiobooks. With it, you can read a book in the same time it takes you to get to work—or maybe even less! In fact, with the audiobook portion of the service that comes with each book, you can “read” the book on your way to work! What other service allows you to do that?
Ask yourself this: How many books do you read a week?
If you’re like most people, probably not even one. However, now, ask yourself this: How many books would you like to read a week if you had the time?
Your answer this time around is probably a number that is a lot higher. With Blinkist, it is suddenly possible.
Did you know that reading a lot can contribute to your success? When you think about it, it only makes sense. You learn a lot more about life, people, and the world around you. So, with this in mind, it should come as little surprise to you that most CEOs read a book a week. In fact, in total, most CEOs read more than 60 books per year! It seems like that could hardly be a coincidence, right?
If you’re currently feeling surprised by this, and thinking that you don’t read nearly that much, then you’re not alone. The amount of books that CEOs read, at about four to five books every single month, is a lot higher than what the average individual reads. In fact, it’s four to five times higher than how many books your average individual reads on an annual basis.
So with this information in mind, it seems like it is only a logical conclusion that reading helps to contribute to your success. But we know what most of you are probably thinking—who has time to read that much? And the answer is, probably very few of us. Between things like work, school, a social life, hanging out with family, friends, and more, things like reading can all too easily get pushed aside.
However, almost everyone has a spare 15 minutes per day. Whether it’s listening to an audiobook while driving in the car, or flipping through a short reading on your phone while waiting for a meeting, just about anyone can find 15 minutes a day.
Imagine if you could use that 15 minutes to read a book. Now, you can.
Who Is This for?
Blinkist is for everyone. For the busy minds, those who are looking for something to do in in their spare time, the college students cramming for a test, the aspiring CEOs, the soul searchers, and so much more. Of course some would prefer the full book.
With books in a wide array of subject matter, you can read a book about almost anything you want in a matter of minutes. Looking for something engaging to keep you busy while you’re driving on a long car ride? Want to brush up on a subject that interests you? Searching for a way to get a brief introduction to a field you don’t have much exposure to? This is the solution. For a wide array of knowledge, Blinkist can give you a “blink” of a huge world of intel.
Think about how much information is out there circulating in the world. In a place where media is being produced far faster than people can consume it, it’s difficult to keep up—especially if books are hundreds of pages long. For most people, the days are too short and filled with too much activity to read hundreds of pages. Don’t get caught up in the daily routine of life and let reading fall by the wayside, especially if reading and learning is something you like! With the app, you can get all the information that you need and want to know—and more!
The Perfect Addition to a Busy Lifestyle
The truth of the matter is, most people do not have time to read as many books as they would like to. It is common for people to want to know more about certain topics, whether it be history, science, or anything else! With Blinkist, there are books covering a huge array of topics, so you can learn about virtually anything in no time at all. If all you are looking for is an overview for a better understanding of something you know a little about, Blinkist is the perfect fit.
Do you have a busy lifestyle? Are you always trying to keep your mind occupied? Or looking for ways to pass the time? If so, you might be a business leader, a busy mom, or a wide range of other things. Whoever you are, Blinkist was made for people just like you.
Blinkist Vs Websites with free summaries
In essence, what we’re really talking about with Blinkist is book summaries. And in reality, book summaries have been around for ages. Entire websites and companies have been dedicated to summarizing the most popular books and articles. Some examples include Sparknotes and Cliffnotes, which are much loved by students. Today, certain services do the same thing, but specialize in specific fields, such as self-help or business content. Social media websites and blogs also offer free summaries of books.
So what makes the app any different?
Blinkist offers a huge library with a selection that can satisfy the interests of almost any user. With over 2000 text and audio book summaries available at your fingertips on a smartphone app, this service is invaluable to many people. Being able to read anything at any time is truly a rare opportunity. To be able to learn, explore, and understand a field using a device that fits in the palm of your hand isn’t something most people can do.
A read here is more than just a summary. It goes through the major points of any book in a simple way that is easy to understand and accessible to anyone. It separates these major points into a series of blinks, making it easy to follow along with the book. Furthermore, this makes it a cinch to go back and access a single point of the reading that you found important and want to hear or read again. It saves you time since you don’t need to thumb through the entire reading or audio. You would be hard-pressed to find summaries that are more accessible, easier to understand, or better organised than those by Blinkist.
Gain Knowledge in No Time
Learn effortlessly about virtually any topic that you wish to become better versed in—without stress, pressure, or the time commitment! By simply searching a subject, a number of relevant books will come up on Blinkist. From there, you can choose one that seems most interesting to you and listen or skim away in as little as 15 minutes. While you may not become an expert, you certainly will be able to hold an educated conversation on the topic! With this method of learning, you can stick to only the topics you find interesting and gain knowledge quickly!
On the way to meet your girlfriend’s parents for the first time and need something to talk about with her history buff of a father? Brush up on your knowledge of Ancient Greek with this app. Just landed an interview for your dream job and want to learn more about the field to give yourself an edge? Blinkist can help. There are countless scenarios where it’s helpful—and fun— to learn things in a pinch. A powerful library full of knowledge that can fit into your pocket makes it possible!
Listen or Read on the Go
We live in a world where people are less and less stationary. In fact, it’s common to spend several hours per day in your car. What do you do with that time? Day dream? Listen to commercials on the radio? Fret about the traffic?
With Blinkist, you can keep your mind occupied with a wide array of available books with the press of a button. Listening to their audio versions in your car is highly convenient and makes the drive fly by! Similarly, flipping through the text summaries can help pass the time when you’re waiting for an appointment or otherwise killing time!
A Better Way to Spend Time on Your Phone
When people have some time to kill or are waiting on something, we are all prone to spending time on our smartphones. What do you do when you’re waiting for a meeting? Playing games? Browsing through social media? Now, with Blinkist, you have a better way to spend your time on your phone. Why not use that spare 15 minutes to learn something new—such as by essentially reading an entire book!
It’s easy to keep your mind occupied productively while on your smartphone. So, if you’re looking for a new smartphone app to get hooked on, this just might be the one!
Right Down to the Nitty Gritty
Do you ever want to learn about a subject, but don’t have the time to read an entire book on it? Maybe you aren’t looking for an in-depth of an understanding of a subject anyway. For a surface level overview to provide you with a general understanding, there’s no reason to wade through 300 pages of a long-winded novel. Especially in scenarios such as these, a read of the book suffices perfectly!
However, this is not to say that summaries are always the way to go! If you are looking to become an expert on a subject and truly want a deep, thorough understanding, then reading a book in its entirety might be better. It is only logical, after all. It’s impossible for any service to deliver a fully fleshed out understanding of a topic in as little as 15 minutes. The depth of understanding you are hoping to achieve should help to determine whether a summary or an entire book is right for you.
How Much Does It Cost?
They have 3 different packages. It currently costs $12.99 a month or $79.99 a year paid in advance ($6.67/month) for the premium. They also come with a 30 day free trial.
Here are the different packages, what they offer and the price.
The free version is very limited. It’s not something I find very interesting because we get 1 pre-selected book a day. This may not be the book I want to read, or if I’m lucky, it may be. But it’s free so who’s complaining?
*They closed the Plus version as of March 2018. I’ll leave the package below just so you can compare. It used to cost $49.99/ year for this plan.
Plus is for most of us. Those who love reading and getting all the benefits. We get over 2000 books with 40+ added every month. This is well worth the cost and they have a wide range of categories. That almost guarantees you find something good to read everyday. One nice addition is that we get to listen to one pre-selected book on the audio version.
The biggest advantage of the premium version is the audio versions of the reviews. This is a huge advantage and I would highly recommend it. Listening to audio is much more convenient that reading and can be done while doing other tasks. Other than that, syncing with highlights with Evernote is cool. It lets us use different devices but have all our notes in one place. Also if you have a kindle, you can send reads there instead of reading from your other devices.
They cover summaries in all categories. Here’s a list that you can see on the site itself.
- Meet Your Goals: Did you know that “read more” is an extremely common New Year’s Resolution? Right up there with “lose weight” and “save money,” “read more” is something that people are always trying to achieve. This begs the question though: with what time? Thanks to Blinkist, you can now reach your goals. Did you tell yourself you want to read 10 books this year? Now, you can effectively do that in a week! While you may not get the most finite details that you’d get from reading a novel in its entirety, a “blink” gives you the fundamental points from a book that you need to get the ultimate point, and be able to have an educated discussion about it.
- Save Time: Imagine how much time goes into reading a novel of several hundred pages. While it is a great and informative option if you are looking to thoroughly understand a subject, it’s not exactly ideal for someone in search of a general overview of something complicated. With such a wide variety of topics, you can learn about almost anything in no time at all. This saves you time trying to leaf through a massive novel on a topic you only want to know a little bit about!
- Gain Knowledge: Want to be a brainiac who knows a little bit about everything? Or do you want to be the person at parties who always has “fun facts” to contribute? Using Blinkist, you can learn about a wide array of subjects, read up on their books on self-help, use the experts’ methods to success, and more! With books that cover just about any field, all organised into convenient and accessible “blinks,” knowledge is just a blink away!
- Increase Productivity: People like the feeling of being productive, and if anything is productive, it’s reading! Not only are you learning, but you are also accomplishing something. And that knowledge can also be used practically to increase productivity, whether it’s self-help books or books in your field!
- Focus on What Matters: You can skip right to the most important parts of a book, while stripping away the details and extra noise. Get right down to the “nitty-gritty” and focus on the parts of the book that matters most. This way, you can walk away with just the key points!
- Stay Up to Date: In this age of information, it’s easy to get lost and fall behind on the latest information. With Blinkist, you can stay up to date with the latest books and keep yourself informed as to what is going on in the world and the fields that interest you. This makes it easy to keep up with the latest information and learn more all the while!
- Brief Overview: If you truly want to delve deep into a topic and really, thoroughly understand it, then this isn’t the right solution for you in that situation. Blinkist is designed to only provide you with a brief overview. While this is ideal in many cases, when you want to get a really good feel for something, you might benefit more from reading the actual, unabridged version of a book on that topic. Unless you are simply looking for a passing knowledge on the topics you picture yourself reading about, Blinkist just may not be the right service for you.
- Loss of Traditional Paper Feel: If you like the traditional look and feel of holding a book in your hands, then that’s one drawback of using Blinkist. The nature of the service requires it to be used on a screen—or, at the very least, through your speakers. With this, you won’t get the feel of a book in your hands and paper between your fingers while using this service. That’s the trade-off that comes with being able to read an entire book in as little as 15 minutes!
- Information Overload: It may not seem like it would be, but all those condensed books in one place can quickly get overwhelming. In all likelihood, while browsing the interface, you will encounter a lot of books that you are interested in reading. Based on what you read, too, the app will recommend even more books to you. While this may seem like a good thing (and it is, really) it can quickly get overwhelming. Your “to read” list quickly can become too long. When reading too many books in a short period of time, they can quickly begin to blend together. To help avoid this, it’s best to not read too many books in one sitting if you find that you cannot retain the information.
Try It Free!
Does this sound interesting to you? It truly is an incredible way to consume books faster and take in knowledge. If you’re still not sure whether or not it’s right for you, though, then why not give it a try? Try Blinkist for free for a limited time to see what it’s all about, how it works, and whether or not you like it! With this risk-free way to decide if it is a worthwhile addition to your life, you have nothing to lose. Of course, once your free trial is over, you might be surprised at how much you miss the ability to read a book in as little as 15 minutes!
Don’t take our word for it. Take advantage of a free trial with Blinkist to see what it’s all about with a “blink” at what the service is like! Discover how user-friendly the interface is, and how easy it is to take in information with the help of this useful tool!
Try it for FREE here
The Final Verdict
At the end of the day, while there are some disadvantages to it, Blinkist is a great service. We love its user-friendly interface, the wide variety of books, and approachable nature. It’s easy to learn on-the-go and stay in-the-know with Blinkist!
If you’re not sold yet on the service and still feel a little bit skeptical about it, we understand that, too! That’s why the free trial is a great option to get your feet wet. After you’ve read a book in 15 minutes, trust us, it’s hard not to go back! It frees up extra time for you, keeps your mind busy, and helps you learn more about what you’re interested in! What could be better than that?
Sound like Blinkist is the solution you’ve been looking for to cross “read more” off your list of New Year’s resolutions once and for all? Give it a try today!