Kindle Unlimited is an extremely useful (and extremely popular) service that provides ebooks. It gives you access to more 2,000 free audiobooks. These books also feature Whispersync technology.
This allows you to switch seamlessly between reading and the audible narration. Kindle Unlimited audiobooks will automatically appear in your Cloud-based Library once you purchase the eBook. Let’s take a brief look at Kindle Unlimited before we learn more about the audio part.
Kindle Unlimited In Short
Kindle Unlimited, or KU as we will refer to it in this post, is Amazon’s subscription service exclusively for books, magazines, and audio. It gives subscribers access to a selection of more than one million book titles. This service allows you to borrow up to ten items at a time.
You can return the items at any time. It operates as a massive virtual library. Even better, there are no due dates. You can access KU books on any device, including your Android smartphone or iPhone (provided you’ve downloaded the reading app).
Keep in mind that you must have an Amazon account to access the platform. Moreover, you’ll need to pay a monthly subscription to be able to borrow as many ebooks and Kindle Unlimited audiobooks as you want. But how much does the subscription cost?
On Amazon.com, Kindle Unlimited costs a fixed monthly fee. If you have a KU subscription (or an Audible subscription), you pay just a bit more a month for Audible Escape, which is a subscription for unlimited romantic audio books. This package deal allows you to enjoy as many Kindle Unlimited audiobooks as you want without hurting your wallet. There’s also a free trial you can take.
Now that you understand the basics of Kindle Unlimited, let’s learn more about the Kindle Unlimited audiobooks.
How To Find The Audiobooks
While the Kindle Unlimited program boasts a wide selection of ebooks, it can be rather tricky to find these audio books. We’re going to explore some simple ways to locate these books on KU.
If you want to find audiobooks without wasting much time, simply look for a ‘headphone icon’ adjacent to the Kindle Unlimited logo. The words ‘with narration’ accompany the headphone icon.
On individual titles, it will be here:
As opposed to those with no headphone logo on them:
When you see the headphone icon and the accompanying words next to the Kindle Unlimited logo on the product page, that indicates you have automatic access to the free Kindle Unlimited audiobooks. You’ll be able to access these audiobooks on any compatible Amazon device, Kindle App, or Audible App.
However, this is not the only way to find the audio on KU. You can also navigate to the ‘Books with Narration on Kindle Unlimited’ page and browse the titles offered. Every title available on this page has a free audiobook.
There is one important thing to keep in mind. While Kindle Unlimited offers thousands of titles with free audible narration or free audio, some ebooks don’t offer automatic access to free audiobooks. You can locate these titles (and find out which ones have free audio) by visiting the ‘Kindle Unlimited’ page at amazon.com.
On the page, select ‘Whispersync for Voice’ and filter your search by your preferred parameters – free audiobooks in this case.
How to Listen To Audiobooks on Your Kindle Unlimited
You can listen to the audiobooks on virtually all Kindle devices, the Audible app, and free Kindle reading apps. If you own a set of Bluetooth earphones or a Bluetooth-enabled speaker, you can start enjoying audiobooks streamed from your device right away.
Additionally, Amazon Kindle allows you to switch seamlessly from reading to listening to your audiobook by following these simple steps:
• Open up the book you want to listen to on your compatible Amazon device
• Tap on the screen. You will see a tray at the bottom of the screen with the words ‘Audible Narration’.
• Tap on the words. This will trigger the download of the audio version of your book.
• Once the download is complete, press play and start listening to your audiobook from your device.
Keep in mind that this will only work if your eBook has an audio option. Look for the headphones icon along with the words ‘with narration’ on the product page to ensure the book comes with an audiobook option.
Are All Kindle Unlimited Audiobooks Free?
While thousands of Kindle titles come with a free audiobook, not all of the audio are free on Kindle Unlimited. Generally, only titles that include ‘with narration’ have an accompanying free audiobook.
We’ve already explained how you can find these free audiobooks on your Kindle Unlimited. Even though not all audiobooks are free from the Kindle store, you can purchase cheaper ones with Whispersync deals. Read on to find out how.
How to Purchase Cheaper Audiobooks
When you look at a Kindle book and click the menu below the ‘Read for Free’ button, you will typically find the option to add an audiobook to your purchase for a specified amount of money. This applies to some of the books available. If you check the option before you click the ‘Read for Free’ button, you’ll purchase the audio for a discounted price.
This audiobook will automatically sync to your Cloud-based Library. Even if you return the eBook or terminate your Kindle Unlimited subscription, you’ll still have access to your audiobook.
Your audiobook and eBook will be synchronized through Whispersync, so you can seamlessly switch between the two. Even if you are not interested in the book, Whispesync deals are some of the best audiobook deals you can find on the market today. It is worth noting, however, that not all Kindle Unlimited audiobooks are compatible with Whispersync.
Kindle Unlimited Audiobooks vs. Audible
Here’s a short showdown between the audio part of the two apps. See our comparison (of the full app) here: Kindle Unlimited vs. Audible
Kindle Unlimited and Audible are some of the most popular audiobooks services available. They are both Amazon services. While Audible deals specifically with audiobooks, KU offers mostly eBooks.
Audible is a subscription-based app that gives you one audiobook every month. It also allows you to purchase additional titles. It can be a good option if you want to access specific audiobooks that are not included in the Kindle Unlimited subscription.
If you want to choose between the two platforms, here’s a look at their features to help you make a more informed decision.
Audible App Features
• Offline listening – Audible allows you to download books and store them in your device. This enables you to listen to your audiobooks even when you don’t have an internet connection.
• Whispersync for voice – With this feature, you can switch from reading an eBook on one device to listening to an audiobook on another device without losing your spot.
• User-friendly mobile interface – Audible boasts a simple and straightforward user interface. You can easily search and listen to audiobooks. You can browse them by author, genre, title, or even narrator.
• Supports bookmarking – The app allows you to bookmark or save a clip, so you can easily pick up from where you left off.
• Sync across devices – Audible has a built-in feature that automatically syncs your audiobook collection across different devices. When combined with the bookmarking feature, this takes your audio listening experience to a whole new level.
• Free audiobook exchange – This app allows you to exchange your audiobooks whenever you want.
• Audiobook ownership – Audible lets you keep the audiobooks you have purchased even after you terminate your subscription.
• Narration speed control – If you want to listen to your audiobook faster or slower than the narrator, Audible lets you adjust the narration speed up to three times slower or faster.
• Cross-platform support – You can access Audible books on several different platforms, including your PC, smartphone, or tablet. It is compatible with iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Kindle, Kindle Oasis, as well as smart home speakers such as Alexa and Sonos.
Kindle Unlimited features
• Sync across devices – Like Audible, Kindle Unlimited lets you sync your book collection across all compatible devices. The devices must have Whispersync support.
• Title borrowing – With Kindle Unlimited, you can borrow up to ten types at a time. This includes not only audiobooks but also magazines and eBooks.
• Cross-platform support – Kindle Unlimited supports a variety of platforms including Mac, Android, iPad, iPhone, Windows PC, and any other Amazon Kindle device.
• VoiceView – Kindle Unlimited has a screen reading functionality that can read out loud any eBook that is available in text only. This ensures you can also listen to thousands of eBooks on Kindle that don’t have narrations.
• Immersion reading – Kindle Unlimited allows you to read an eBook while listening to its audio version.
• Whispersync for voice – Like in Audible, this feature enables you to switch from listening to an audiobook to reading the corresponding book, and vice versa, without losing your spot.
• Title ownership – You’ll still have access to your purchased titles at any time, even if you terminate your KU subscription.
Kindle Unlimited is one of the most popular and most beneficial audiobooks services. It gives you access to more than 2000 free audiobooks. You can also purchase cheaper audiobooks by taking advantage of Whispersync deals. With Whispersync deals, the total price of the audiobook plus the eBook version is (often, though not always) still lower than the audiobook price on Audible.